Since Avellana.ca was first launched in 2001, our intention has always been to simply share products that we've found to be life-transforming for us, from our families to yours, and we know that many of you have been touched in huge ways and have helped to connect other families as well. The testimonies we get are crazy, they just keep coming, and are a joy to read!
Please note that we aren't doctors or scientists. We care very much about passing on good information and promoting safe practices, and while we mention various things throughout our site, we thought it a good idea to have a central place to list our safety information (as well as all the usual required disclaimers). The information we provide on our site is what we've come to understand about the properties of each of these products. In most cases we can't point you to high-grade studies in peer-reviewed journals, hence we have the following disclaimer at the bottom of each page:
Products and claims regarding properties and effects on this site have not been evaluated by the FDA or Health Canada. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Information supplied is for general reference & educational purposes only and is not intended to replace professional medical advice.
1. While all our children's necklaces have built-in safety releases, children under the age of three shouldn't wear a necklace without adult supervision. We recommend that when your children are sleeping you move any necklace to their leg (usually wrapped twice around their ankle) under their clothes (socks, PJ's, etc) so that it remains in contact with the skin. On smaller children, location of the jewelry won't matter at all in terms of efficacy and both hazelwood and Baltic amber will still be effective in relieving teething pain (they'll work just as well and you'll sleep better!).
*Please note that due to changing regulations in Canada, we are including a ‘Small Parts’ warning on all of our jewelry. It indicates that it should not be used for a child under the age of 3. You’ll see this now on our listings and on our packaging.
2. Never put more than one necklace at the same time around the neck of a child of any age. The safety mechanism built-in to the necklaces is based on weight. When enough weight is put on the mechanism, it releases to prevent choking. The concern would be that should the necklace get caught on something, it would take twice as much weight for the safety mechanism to be activated. If you'd like to have your child wear both hazelwood and amber, consider a hazel-amber mix or getting a Baltic amber bracelet in addition to a hazelwood necklace. If teething is the main issue, have them wear a baltic amber necklace and wrap a hazelwood necklace twice around their wrist or ankle (if you're also trying to treat eczema, reflux, or something similar with the hazelwood).
3. Always do a personal inspection of the jewelry before putting it on your child. We have several levels of inspection ourselves but it is never a bad idea to have 'too many' inspections! :) Please check for:
- Sharp Edges
- Cracked or Broken Beads
- Wire Sticking Out
- Broken or Defective Clasp
- Proper Fit (should be able to get two average adult sized fingers into the space, but no more or less)
NOTE - We've had a customer report a skin reaction issue with leaving Baltic amber on during an extended hot bath. Normally amber is removed due to the soaps involved, but if you are giving your child a bath (or taking one yourself) without soaps or chemicals, we'd recommend removing the amber just the same. We're not sure but the hot water may have caused the amber to become tacky or soft, to which a skin reaction occurred. Please exercise caution with exposing your amber to high heat or with wearing amber after it has been exposed to high heat (left in a hot car, etc.).
If you ever have any concerns, questions, or feedback, please contact us. We'd love to hear from you!